Submission period: August 1 - August 31
Throughout the month of August, CavanKerry Press will accept submissions for poetry collections, nonfiction essay collections, and memoir. Selected manuscripts will be published by CavanKerry Press and receive national distribution. Please read the complete guidelines before submitting your manuscript.
Who May Submit
The August Open Submissions Period is open to anyone writing in the English language, and living in the United States, regardless of prior publication history. The submissions will be read by our editorial staff and decisions will be made based on the quality of work and the fit with CavanKerry’s mission and sensibilities.
We are always impressed by the quality of work we read, and receive many more manuscripts worthy of publication than we are able to publish. Careful and thoughtful consideration is given to each work before decisions are made.
All submissions should be made throughSubmittable. The reading fee of $30 includes a choice of one of CavanKerry’s books from the list on our website submissions page. Book mailings will begin in mid August.
- All manuscripts must be a minimum of 50 pages.
- Submit your previously unpublished manuscript with a table of contents.
- Manuscript should be formatted on a Word document using a standard font, 1 and 1/2 or double spacing, and standard margins.
- Please do not include your name on any pages of the manuscript attachment. All personal information as listed below should only be included on the separate cover letter.
- Include a cover letter with the following information:
- title of the manuscript
- author name
- telephone number
- email address
- social media handles
- website address if applicable
- your book choice from the list on the website submissions page
*Submissions without cover letter information will not be read.
Individual poems or essays in a manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, journals, or anthologies.
Simultaneous submissions to other publishers are permitted. Please notify Starr Troup, Managing Editor at CavanKerry Press, promptly if a manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
Before submitting your work to CavanKerry, please explore our website and the work of the authors we have published. We are interested in literary work that explores the “lives of everyday people.”
Decisions regarding acceptance of manuscripts for publications will be made by February 28, 2019. You will receive a phone call from our senior editor and a follow-up email if your work is accepted. Please do not contact us regarding the readings and acceptance for publication.
A manuscript may be submitted, or resubmitted, only twice within a twelve (12) month period.
Please allow three to six months for a response.